Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back In The USSR

Listen to sample of "Back In The USSR"

UPDATE: See the full-length version on YouTube with a rapid sketching video.

Back when I worked as a Business Systems Analyst at Nike, there was a cadre of musicians in the IT department who were all doing digital recording on their own. So we instituted a monthly/quarterly challenge to ourselves. This particular challenge was to "cover a song from the '60s."

Hmmm...during most of the '60s, I was in South America listening to classical music and a little Tijuana Brass... What to do? Lucky for me, every Beatles song ever recorded was from the '60s, so I recorded my version of their classic Beach Boys tribute.

It was recorded on my old Korg D1600 16-track digital workstation, with me doing all the parts. I had a good time with that 1960s energy while putting an updated spin on some of the sounds. I actually whistled/hissed into the microphone to make that sound of the jet flying overhead. The drums were courtesy of a set pattern from Alesis drum machine and me pounding on the little rubber touch pads over top of it to make some of the fills.


(Kevin Laurila's "stalker version" of "Suzi-Q" was spooky and brilliant! I'll post it here later if he'll let me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment