Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Vocal Experiment 1, or Self-evolving Portrait

I spent several days with my mp3 player set on Bobby McFerrin's "Vocabularies," playing it over and over again. Incredible. I'm also a big fan of Bruno Coulais' soundtrack for the movie "Himalaya." So one night, I just started recording improvised vocal lines and putting them together to see what would happen. I pitch-shifted some drones and other lines down low, and then added several tracks of different pitches held steady on one note. With the automation, I adjusted the volume up and down on each vocal line, pretty much randomly at first, and then tweaked a bit when things started to take shape. After listening to that for a few days, I recorded some new improvised vocal lines and remixed. The sample is a bit of the rough mix. The video uses a much longer segment of the recording. I still don't know what this will turn into, but it's fun to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment